My inbox today contained a great infographic titled The Perfect Anatomy of a Modern Web Writer. It explains what we, as web writers, need in our arsenal as professional writers, as well as demonstrates what to look for when hiring a web writer. So I thought I’d share it.
The Perfect Anatomy of a Modern Web Writer
- Outstanding Copywriting Ability. Copywriting begins with knowing your customer’s hope and fears, her principles and problems…and then figuring out how to help her achieve her goals and ease her pains.
- Storytelling Skills. Storytelling creates a narrative that spellbinds people. There’s no debate: the best web writers are also the best storytellers.
- Social Media Savvy. A web writer should build a presence on social media and experiment with new social media networks.
- Above Average Work Ethic. The real magic of a world-class web writer rests in his work ethic–his ability to kick down creativity’s door, plant his tush on the seat, and keep it there until the work is done.
- SEO Mastery. A web writer should know how search engines work, why quality content is important, and the value of a strong headline.
- Research Aptitude. The Internet is the research bootlegger’s dream come true because the data and tools are in the average person’s hands.
- Usability Awareness. Web writers should follow good usability practices that involve white space, readability, subheads and paragraph and sentence length.
- (Caffeine Appreciation. I’ve left this one off because…essentially…I’ve quit caffeine! I find I’m much more creative and alert without it.)
–excerpted from The Perfect Anatomy of a Modern Web Writer, by Demian Farnworth